How to Apply
Brooklyn Woods offers five cycles per year and is continuously recruiting for the next training cycle. To begin the application process you must attend an orientation session where we will provide detailed information about the program, offer a tour of the shop and give you an application to fill out. We also require that applicants take a reading, math and measurement test during orientation. Orientations are held every Wednesday at 10:00 AM sharp at BWI’s Sector Skills Center and last about three hours. Please bring a valid photo ID and be prepared to fill out information about your work history. If you have a resume, you may bring it. You do not need to pre-register. Please note that latecomers may not be admitted.
To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
- Live in New York City & be legally eligible to work in the U.S. and 21 years or older
- Be unemployed, have a low income, or receive public assistance
- Able to pass an 8th grade level reading test and a 6th grade level math test
- Be physically fit, able to work on your feet for hours and able to lift 70lbs
- Have minimal or some background working with your hands, with tools, in a trade, or as a laborer
- Demonstrate a commitment to utilizing the training to work in the field of woodworking or a related business for at least two years
Individuals with past criminal convictions are welcome to apply.
Brooklyn Woods can accept applicants with a history of substance use who are clean for ninety days and who are in a counseling program.
Individuals who recently completed or are completing college degrees or who are working in a career and simply want to make a career change are not typical candidates. Please call Brooklyn Woods to discuss your particular situation.
Location and Directions
Brooklyn Woods is located at the BWI Sector Skills Center at 125 8th Street, between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue in Gowanus, Brooklyn. The closest subway stops are the 9th Street stop on the R line and the 4th Avenue/ 9th Street stop on the F and G lines.
Once you exit the subway, walk up 4th Avenue to 8th Street. Make a left and walk a block and a half, crossing 3rd Avenue, until you see a three story red brick building with a gray door marked “125.” You will see a buzzer for Brooklyn Woods. We are located on the second floor.
Drivers, please be aware that street parking is extremely limited in this area. If you are driving, please allow yourself enough time to find parking.
For more information contact Brooklyn Woods at 718-389-3636 or Toby Gardner.