Interested in gaining skills to get started in a career working with wood? Do you have some experience, ability or passion for working with your hands and do you want formal training in tools and woodworking techniques? Do you want to start learning a skill that will last a lifetime?
Brooklyn Woods offers free full time training to unemployed and low-income New Yorkers in woodworking skills, providing them with a solid foundation to begin a career in woodworking, cabinetmaking and fabrication. Brooklyn Woods runs five 7-week cycles per year and trains 50-60 individuals per year. During a typical training cycle, which meets Monday to Friday 8 AM to 4 PM for 7 weeks, trainees receive:
- An introduction to the proper use of power tools and machinery and a comprehensive introduction to a variety of woodworking and cabinetmaking techniques
- Opportunities to develop job-relevant skills by working on projects utilizing both solid wood and man-made materials
- An introduction to reading shop drawings and cut lists, identifying wood, finishing techniques, cabinet hardware and cabinet installation
- Instruction in measurement and math, with a focus on working with fractions
- Comprehensive safety training including the 10 hour OSHA General Construction Safety and Health class
- Soft skills training to succeed in obtaining and keeping a job as well as resume preparation
- Job placement assistance
Brooklyn Woods is not a general carpentry program but many of the skills learned in woodworking and cabinetmaking are transferrable to carpentry and related trades.
Brooklyn Woods graduates work for a wide variety of businesses including custom cabinetmakers, production furniture makers, general contractors, store display companies and general fabrication.
For information on how to apply to Brooklyn Woods, click here
Brooklyn Woods graduates are trained to be skilled entry-level woodworkers and fabricators. If you are a business owner and are interested in hiring a graduate, click here
Brooklyn Woods also operates a cabinetmaking social enterprise. For more information about click here
Brooklyn Woods occupies a modern 8,000 square foot space in Gowanus, Brooklyn that combines classroom space, a benchroom for training as well as a large production woodworking shop.